Only University of Washington (UW) Seattle campus students who are registered for the current academic quarter and pay both the Services & Activities (SAF) and Student Technology (STF) fees as part of their tuition are eligible to check out equipment from the Student Technology Loan Program (STLP). UW Bothell and UW Tacoma students should consult their respective campus resources for similar services.
UW Identification Required
Valid UW identification in the form of a Husky Card is required to complete the equipment loan process. Students are required to present their Husky Card to STLP staff for inspection at the time of equipment check out. Equipment will only be released to the listed reservation holder with valid UW identification.
UW NetID Authentication
In addition to presenting valid UW identification, students are required to authenticate with their personal UW NetID at the point of equipment check out and return. Shared UW NetIDs related to RSOs, associations, etc. will not be accepted. Please note it is against UW policy to share personal UW NetID credentials with anyone. For more information on UW NetID policies, please visit this IT Connect page.
Student Code Of Conduct
Students are required to follow the Student Conduct Code for the University of Washington while using the program. Violations of the Student Conduct Code may result in restrictions from the program.
STLP is a free, student-run program that helps support the academic technology needs of UW Seattle students by eliminating barriers to technology access. STLP services are intended to be inclusive and accessible to all students. Please email email@example.com or call/text 206-685-6090 for accommodations connected to a disability or health condition. Requests can be responded to most effectively if received at least seven (7) business days in advance.
Equipment is made available to students on a first-come, first-served basis during quarterly periods of instruction as outlined by the UW Academic Calendar. Please refer to the Locations page for STLP office locations and hours. All STLP office locations are closed on weekends, UW holidays, and quarterly break periods.
Advance reservations of equipment will only be accepted via the online booking system. Reservations must be made by 12:00 pm (noon) the business day prior to the desired check-out date. Additionally, reservations will only be accepted up to a maximum of 60 days before the desired check-out date.
In-person, same-day reservation of equipment is possible at all STLP office locations. While same-day reservations will be accommodated to the best of our ability, equipment inventory may be limited. While advance reservations are not required, they are highly recommended to ensure equipment availability.
Equipment loan periods vary by item. Loan periods are listed in business days – weekends and UW holidays are not counted. Please review equipment descriptions carefully along with all email confirmations indicating check out and return dates.
Equipment reservations over quarter breaks will be approved on a case-by-case basis with prior arrangement. Requests should be submitted by wmailing firstname.lastname@example.org at least two (2) weeks in advance and are subject to advisor/faculty verification.
During instances where UW has suspended operations (due to inclement weather, etc.), STLP office locations will remain closed. Equipment due to be returned while operations have been suspended will not be counted as late. Reservation check-outs and returns will resume once UW has returned to normal operations. Reservations that would have been checked out during suspended operations will be adjusted to the next business day under normal operations; however, the return date will not be equally extended. To sign up for automatic announcements regarding suspended operations and other campus emergencies, please visit the UW Alert page.
During other times when STLP office locations experience an unanticipated closure or modified business hours, an announcement will be posted to the website and Facebook page. Consideration will be given on a case-by-case basis to students attempting to check out or return equipment during these times.
- Equipment is made available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- While multiple equipment items may be checked out in a single reservation, only one of each equipment type may be checked out at a given time (e.g.: one laptop and one camera, etc.).
- Additional reservations for different equipment types may overlap existing reservations.
- Equipment must be returned before making a new reservation for the same equipment type. Pending availability, the same equipment type may be reserved and checked out as early as the following business day (applies to both advance and same-day reservations).
- Due to equipment turnaround procedures, the same exact piece of equipment will not be reissued for subsequent reservations.
- Reservations will not be renewed – equipment must be returned by the specified due date.
Equipment Check Out/Return
Students with advance reservations must claim their equipment from the designated office location on the scheduled date of pick up by 2:00 pm (HSB), 4:00 pm (KNE), or 8:00 pm (HUB). Reservations for equipment not picked up by this time will be canceled.
Additionally, changes to equipment cannot be accommodated at the point of check out. Any necessary changes should be requested in advance by emailing email@example.com.
Students must return equipment to the same office location from which it was checked out. Equipment must also be returned by the designated time as follows:
- Health Sciences (HSB): Due back by 2:00 pm
- Kane Hall (KNE): Due back by 4:00 pm
- Husky Union Building (HUB): Due back by 8:00 pm
Additionally, equipment must be returned in the same condition as when it was checked out. Equipment not returned in the same condition and/or with missing components will be subject to the Damaged/Lost Equipment policies listed below.
Infractions (1-2 Days Late)
Infractions accumulate when equipment is not returned by the specified time. Students who do not return equipment by the specified time on the second business day will incur an infraction restriction as follows:
- First Infraction: One week restriction from the program per business day late
- Second Infraction: One month restriction from the program per business day late
- Third Infraction: Restriction from the program for one academic year
Equipment Recovery Process (3+ Days Late)
In addition to reminder emails automatically generated by the online booking system, STLP staff will attempt to communicate with students still in possession of equipment after the specified return date. Should these attempts fail or otherwise not result in return of the equipment, the following action will be taken:
- Three Business Days Late: Restriction from the program for one academic quarter
- Five Business Days Late: Equipment reported to UWPD as misappropriated (review RCW 9A.56.096 concerning theft of rental, leased, lease-purchased, or loaned property)
Taking Equipment Abroad
Students planning to take equipment abroad need to make arrangements to do so ahead of time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance. Upon making these arrangements, STLP staff will provide a customs authorization letter to accompany the equipment during travel. Without this authorization letter, students may be charged duty fees at the border. STLP is unable to provide reimbursement for any such fees.
Students borrowing STLP equipment are required to immediately report damaged, lost, or stolen equipment items. Students must return all damaged or remaining equipment items in person (or, for select items, request a prepaid return shipping label if outside the Seattle area).
Students will be held responsible for loss or damage to equipment and components while in their possession. Please inform STLP staff as soon as possible by visiting an office location, calling, or emailing email@example.com. In most cases, damaged or lost equipment will be processed as follows:
- Replacement Under $250: Replacement of equipment valued under $250 does not meet the threshold for filing a claim under the UW equipment insurance policy. As such, the student will be responsible for paying all charges plus applicable state sales tax and university Institutional Overhead Charge (IOC). Payments will only be accepted in the form of credit card, check or money order. Payment plans are available with prior STLP approval.
- Repair/Replacement Over $250: In most cases, equipment repair or replacement valued over $250 meets the threshold for filing a claim under the UW equipment insurance policy. If approved, the student is responsible for paying a $250 deductible while the remaining portion will be covered by the UW equipment insurance policy. Payments will only be accepted in the form of credit card, check or money order. Payment plans are available with prior STLP approval.
Credit card payments may be made in person at the STLP office location in Kane Hall, Room 035, or by calling 206-685-6090. Checks and money orders must be made payable to “University of Washington” for the exact amount owed and submitted in person as noted above or via US Mail when addressed as follows: Student Technology Loan Program, University of Washington, Box 353095, Seattle WA 98195.
The program reserves the right to fully inspect equipment up to three (3) business days after the date of return to assess charges for cleaning, replacement of missing parts, and/or repair of damaged equipment. STLP staff will communicate the charges due after This assessment.
Students participating in the program do not have to disclose the purpose for which they plan to utilize STLP equipment during quarterly lending periods. Students may check out equipment for any legitimate purpose and may remove the equipment from the UW Seattle campus.
All data, software, profiles, passphrases, and other information stored on laptops, portable hard drives, and removable media will be erased upon return. STLP is not responsible for the loss of data left on a device.
Except in cases where the equipment is reported as lost or stolen, we will not release your information to anyone else nor will we use your information for any reason other than contacting you regarding your reservation.